Monday, March 10, 2008

I believe you...and I'm proud of you

Kristen, thanks for posting about the controversies surrounding recent "memoirs" that turn out to be either fictionalized, or totally made up to begin with.

This allows me to focus on a memoir that is NOT fictionalized. Tim Madigan is a UND graduate, and he's written a wonderful remembrance of his friendship with Mr. Rogers. Yes, that Mr. Rogers--"It's-a-wonderful-day-in-the-neighborhood" Mr. Rogers. Publishers Weekly gave Tim Madigan's book, I'm Proud of You: My Friendship with Fred Rogers a rare starred review.

It deserves that star.

When we began this blog, we determined right away that Tim would be our first Author of the Month. We were still learning how to make things work techie-wise, and we didn't get him featured as much as we'd have liked. But he's in the forefront of our minds now as we consider the art of the memoir, and how well he's done it.

To Tim Madigan, we have to say this: Thank you. And you know something else? We're really proud of you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm Proud of You - Tim Madigan

I recently cataloged this book so it should be available on the library shelves. I also briefly scanned it while working on it. This book is a quick, easy read. Through the friendship of the author, Mr. Rogers is depicted as an intelligent, well-educated man and appears on the pages as nice, if not nicer, than what was shown on TV.

Beth K. Sorenson
Library employee