Thursday, March 20, 2008

Jon Hassler

Kristen, I just found out that Jon Hassler has died. He has always been a favorite writer of mine, and when I taught a course in midwestern lit, my students all thought the novel we studied (Grand Opening) was tremendous. I've never had such a strong response to an author from students. His writing touched people of all ages because he had the ability to make his characters come so alive that you care, you really care, about the people who populate his novels.

He graduated from UND in 1961 and received a doctorate of letters here in 1994. In 1996, the Chester Fritz Library celebrated its millionth volume--and what did we select to be that millionth volume? "Christmas in Omaha," by Jon Hassler. Mr. Hassler came to the library and we had a formal presentation as he donated a signed copy.

I've met a lot of writers in my life, but I have never been as excited as I was that day, seeing a writer I admired so much.

And now he's gone.

You'll have to excuse me if I'm a little sad today....

No comments: