Thursday, May 15, 2008

Summer Reading List

It's summer, and you know what that means. Lolling in the sun. Baking at the lake. Swigging lemonade from frosty glasses.

And summer reading lists.

Kristen, did you have those when you were in school? They were usually classic novels--not that there's anything wrong with classic novels!--but the perfect summer reading list will have more than that.

I always wanted a teacher to say, Janet, go out and read every mystery you can get ahold of. They'll sharpen your logic skills, make you an involved reader, and teach characterization. Plus, nothing beats a good mystery when you're out in the sun with a lemonade, or stuck inside while a good North Dakota storm thunders its way across the plains.

Here's my reading list--Jess Lourey's Murder by Month series. We'll go through the summer, reading the appropriate month's novel. Obviously, we'll start with May Day and go from there.

I'm off to get some lemonade....


Janet

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Indeed, lemonade is delicious! So is limeade. I wonder what a combination of the two would be: pure awesomeness I am sure. Anyway, I am replying that reading lists are indeed fun, and I have already begun mine, and am dragging my friends along for the ride. My list is as follows:


The Ethics of Ambiguity
Maus
Lolita
The Invisible Man
Invisible Man
The Littlest Hitler
What is the What
The Motorcycle Diaries
Hip Hop Matters
The Art Question

Enjoy that lemonade!!!

Steph

Popular Librarians said...

I recognize the graphic novel Maus in your list and Lolita is an incredible read. Thanks for your input Stephanie.

Also for anyone who has to take a summer drive, new Books on CD are now in the popular reading collection--come in to browse or click on the list to see the titles.

Jessica Lourey said...

There's something about that first reading list that I really like, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Yay!

sandi said...

Stephanie,
If you have room for one more graphic novel on your list, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi is very good. The Library's call # is Floor 3 General Stacks PN6747.S245 P4713 2003

We also have Persepolis 2 which is the sequel. I haven't read that one yet. The call # is Floor 3 General Stacks PN6747.S245 P4913 2004

I know Persepolis was recently made into a movie and I've heard pretty good reviews about it.

Sandi Bates
Reference Librarian

Anonymous said...

I have read The Complete Persepolis. I haven't seen the film, but cannnot wait to. I read it over winter break where I bought it at a locally owned bookstore in Anchorage, Alaska called Tidal Wave Books (an excellent little store). It is an awesome read and I recommend it to anyone and everyone. In addition, I work at Barnes and Noble (for summer work) and I have it up in the store as one of my staff recommendations! Glad to know others enjoy that book.

Popular Librarians said...

New in our library is "Worldless Books: The Original Graphic Novels" with an introduction by Peter Kuper (Stop Forgetting to Remember). The book consists of images from woodcut novels and worldless books from 1918 to 1951. The full page black and white images are striking.
Kristen