Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Confession Time

Janet,

We’re going to learn a lot about each other on this blog. I hate to say this but...I don’t like to read mysteries! I get a headache trying to keep track of everything and trying not to let the author trick me AND I NEVER GUESS WHO THE MURDERER IS! I know, I’m too gullible, I can’t think “outside the box” to come up with a solution from out of nowhere. Pleaase don’t be offended – I know you have lots of mystery writer friends, and that you go to conferences for mystery writers, and sometime you look like you’ve been up all night typing...Wait a minute, Janet, are YOU a mystery writer? Well, my imagination must be getting away from me. Can someone else make some good mystery suggestions for Janet in the Comments so that I'm off the hook?

Yes I LOVED Eat, Pray, Love and I’m sure it will be on the shelves just in time for Spring Break. Right now I’m reading books for the Writer’s Conference. I couldn’t believe how I got sucked into Affliction by Russell Banks. There’s a movie version with Nick Nolte in it and bet it’s terrific too. Did you know there will be a Graphic Artist at the Writer’s Conference too? I learned about him last Sunday at the UND Bookstore. There’s a Writer’s Conference 101 Book Club and an art professor, Joel Jonientz, led a great talk. Do you remember Mad Magazine’s Spy vs Spy? Peter Kuper created that and lots more. We discussed Stop Forgetting to Remember : The Autobiography of Walter Kurtz. His pictures really are worth a thousand words, but I'm sure we don't have to tell this group about graphic novels.

Good night Janet, I'm tired from staying up so late finishing Affliction. It was so good and the ending made sense to me, unlike the mysteries I've read...

Kristen

3 comments:

Popular Librarians said...

Did I just hear you say that I often look like I've been up all night writing???? EEEK! Time to get to the Lancome counter and quick! "Give me some extra heavy-duty stuff to hide raccoon eyes!"

I just got EAT,PRAY,LOVE and I can't wait to get going on it. I think I'd better check into some of Peter Kuper's work, too. Sounds fascinating!

So many books, so little time!

--Janet (who won't stay up ALL night writing)

sandi said...

Marcia Muller has a new mystery out that is supposed to be set in North Dakota - titled, of course, "Dakota." Will you being adding that to the collection?

Muller writes the Sharon McCone series that had a movie made from one of the books - I can't remember the actress who played her - blonde, husky voice, sort of Lauren Bacall-like. She was in Peggy Sue Got Married or something like that. Muller also writes the Richard Jury series - not as much fun as the McCone series but a good read if you like British mysteries.

sandi said...

Ooops, sorry, I mixed Marcia Muller up with Martha Grimes. I do know, though, that Martha Grimes, did write the Richard Jury series and is the author of "Dakota."

Muller's books are good, too.

Sandi