Sunday, February 24, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love...and read!

Kristen, it's your fault I'm a bit sleep-deprived today. You told me I'd love Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, so I dutifully checked it out and put it on my desk at home...where it sat. I couldn't get past the cover. I'm a mystery reader, and I like mystery covers, which draw you in, tell you something about the book. The last one I read had a cloud of steam coming from a cup of coffee--a cloud of steam shaped like a skull! No brainer to figure out that it was a mystery.

Anyway, on to East, Pray, Love. The cover was, I thought, bland, and it made the book totally pass-uppable. (I think I just made a new word!!) The word PRAY looks like it's made of raspberries with a cord, which made NO sense at all.

But last night I needed something to read, so I picked it up and began. WOW! At 3:30 this morning, I had to force myself to lay it aside. I want to ignore all the chores I have ahead of me today, and settle on the couch with a HUGE cup of coffee and a blanket and a cat and finish reading this book.

Kristen, you wondered if college students would like this book. I think so--assuming they can get past that cover.

So here's my question to our UND students: What do you think? Has anyone read it? Thumbs up? Thumbs down?

[By the way, they're not raspberries at all. The word is made from a prayer cord of beads.]

Sleepily,
Janet

No comments: