Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Cupcakes, social networking, and hamburgers

I just ordered the last three books for Popular Reading this year. And how did I choose these landmark volumes?

Well, I'm on Twitter. It is the Voice of the Universe. I made that up but it is true that whenever I sign in to it, I hear from people all over the world (well, mainly the US but Canada, Australia, England--I even get news flashes from Le Monde in Paris, written in French, which I sort of understand). And, of course, some people are from right here in ND.

What do I hear people talking about?

CUPCAKES! I'm telling you, cupcakes are The Thing. Cupcakes this, cupcakes that. So I ordered the neatest looking cookbook called Little Cakes from the Whimsical Bakehouse:Cupcakes, Small Cakes, Muffins, and Other Mini Treats. Yum, the stuff in there looks good! Almost--yes--almost good enough to eat!

SOCIAL NETWORKING! Well, of course they're talking about social networking since it's Twitter, but take a look at this book: CauseWired: Plugging In, Getting Involved, Changing the World. It's about using social networking for making a difference. I like that! Log on and change the world!

HAMBURGERS: I've always said that if it weren't for bacon, I'd be a vegetarian, so I thought this book sounded interesting: The Compassionate Carnivore: Or, How to Keep Animals Happy, Save Old MacDonald's Farm, Reduce Your Hoofprint, and Still Eat Meat. Sort of covers it all, doesn't it? I sure want to find out how to reduce my HOOFprint, don't you?

I can't wait for them to arrive! Don't they sound great?

--Janet

No comments: